Jurassic Mods
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myths and Legends: An Outlook

+2
raptors rule
Nemesis
6 posters

Go down

Is the Loch Ness Monster real?

Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_lcap20%Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_lcap20%Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_lcap60%Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]
Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_lcap0%Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_lcap0%Myths and Legends: An Outlook Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Myths and Legends: An Outlook Empty Myths and Legends: An Outlook

Post  Nemesis Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:53 pm

The original topic was spammed too much and even ended up useless due to topic age (so I had to lock it).
Now I have recreated it.
You may debate and discuss myths and legends from around the world in this topic.
There is a suggested subject (usually a famous yet controversial myth/legend) which you may wish to discuss; however, this is not a requirement, you can discuss other legends.
The suggested subject shall change every Friday.
Suggested subject: the Loch Ness Monster, which has been sighted in Loch Ness and has even been suggested by cryptozoologists to be a surviving plesiosaur.
Suggested image (just to give you something to debate about):
Myths and Legends: An Outlook The-loch-ness-monster-on-google-earth-11492-1251306902-5
Please note that I am not responsible for the content and safety of external websites; it is recommended that you thoroughly check the link embedded into the image with a virus and malware scanner.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Myths and Legends: An Outlook Empty Re: Myths and Legends: An Outlook

Post  raptors rule Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:03 pm

I don't think it is real.
1.There is not any real proof that it is real.
2.Then wouldn't you see it somewere in the news it would be a big thing eh?
3.Why do they not get a good pic of it?
4.Why havn't they found it?
Well?Thats why I don't believe in it.Think of those questions and see if you can anwser them. Neutral
raptors rule
raptors rule
Carnotaurus
Carnotaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Witch King Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:44 pm

It's physically impossible for "Nessie" to exist. Why? Simple math, and population statistics. It's estimated that the bare minimum number of 250 individuals is required in order for a species to survive, and maintain genetic variability. Any number below that, and the species will eventually slide into extinction. There are not 250 huge animals in that lake. First of all, you would expect to see numerous dead bodies everywhere, but you don't. Second of all the ecosystem in that lake simply isn't enough to support it. And don't say "it just travels out to sea." If an animal is adapted to hunt in a specific environment, it doesn't leave that environment.

That's just one reason "Nessie" can't exist. Never mind the fact that, even plesiosaurs did (somehow) manage to survive the extinction of the dinosaurs, they would've undergone 6 million years of evolution. We probably wouldn't even recognize it as a plesiosaur.

Then you have the problem that numerous scientific studies have been performed on that loch, and found a grand total of nothing.

And even then, you have the problem that almost every single "sighting" is explainable by other phenomena.

Occam's razor. Either this animal can defy every single known law of nature, and hide from the scientific community, or it doesn't exist.

However, I won't say I'm not open to the existence of unknown animals. If you show me valid, testable evidence that the animal exists, I'll believe it. Nessie either: a. lacks that sort of evidence, or b. has had all of the "evidence" (though I doubt you could call it that, since the quality of the evidence around it is highly dubious) refuted.

The Witch King
Compy
Compy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Your right. And if there were so many, I think we could have noticed.

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Raptor X Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:36 pm

i am mad about this topic as mine was the old, and this was a copied idea Mad and I dont believe in loch ness monster Click-Ban!
Raptor X
Raptor X
Acrocanthosaurus
Acrocanthosaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:40 pm

I do not believe in nessie.not enough proof and to much proof against it, to many fakers, and the thought of her was conjured at the time where cyclones were giant snake necks, and dougongs were mermaids. Im not sure if some believers belive themselves, but like the idea of an ancient reptile living today. besides, plesiosaurs lived in england if zoo tycoon is correct, in the jurassic.
btw TWK there are a rounded up 70 javan rhinos alive today, and they still survive, but still, im pretty sure nessie's home is smalles asthe rhinos have their country and nessie has a lake. Neutral
I dont try to argue with nessie believers,they don't make good points andf tend to be imlacable.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 pm

This sighting has been going on ever since some fisherman said

"Look at that honkin lizard! RUN ITS NESSIE"

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cunfuzzed Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:28 am

Treeco wrote:
btw TWK there are a rounded up 70 javan rhinos alive today, and they still survive, but still, im pretty sure nessie's home is smalles asthe rhinos have their country and nessie has a lake. Neutral
First of all, I'm not entirely sure on this, but I believe that a Javan rhino is quite a bit smaller then a plesiosaur. Second of all, I said that 250 animals is the minimum required number of animals to survive, and maintain genetic variability. The Javan rhino is an excellent example as to why. If you have less then that, the species succumbs to inbreeding, and goes extinct. The Javan rhinos are doing that.

250 animals, over successive generations, produces a lot of dead bodies. Where are they?

cunfuzzed
Camarasaurus
Camarasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 am

Oh, how can i have missed that? Javans are even smaller than normal rhinos. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
inbreediing...gross

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum