Jurassic Mods
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conversational Drift

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you like this topic?

Conversational Drift Vote_lcap50%Conversational Drift Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]
Conversational Drift Vote_lcap0%Conversational Drift Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Conversational Drift Vote_lcap50%Conversational Drift Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 2

Poll closed

Conversational Drift Empty Conversational Drift

Post  Nemesis Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:08 am

I'm creating this topic to try and make an uncontrolled discussion area. (there is no off-topic, topics can switch)
Here are the rules:
You start off with one subject, but as you discuss it you become off-topic and begin to discuss a different subject. This change is gradual. No going straight from pencils to planets etc.
No violation of rules.
No SPAM (Stupid, Pointless, Annoying, Messages).
If a mod/admin wants to lock it, please do so.

Subject: History of the Calendar
My message:
The calendar has evolved during the years, as new months have been added by historical figures (August = Augustus, July = Julius).
A lot of famous, important figures, like the Roman emperor Augustus and the senator Julius Caesar, wanted to make themselves even more popular and powerful and to achieve this they named months after them. This is echoed by the way the Vikings named days after their deities (Thursday = Thor's day; Wednesday = Woden's day = Odin's day).
What do you think?

Last edited by Nemesis on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Conversational Drift Empty Re: Conversational Drift

Post  Raging Raptor Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:02 pm

In my opinion, we have become very lenient on the calender. Most people have their entire YEAR planned out, all marked on a little calender.

Some people believe the world will end in 2012, why? Because a calender told us.
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Clonehunter Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Even though I don't know how accurate that calendar is. The Mayans once predicted their civilizations date of doom, and they were quite off. The were destryed by Cortes (I think) far before thier prediction. So how do we know that the 2012 is correct?
Clonehunter
Clonehunter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06 pm

So this is pretty much "Zeh Random Topic...." Riiiiight....
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Raging Raptor Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Gopher wrote:So this is pretty much "Zeh Random Topic...." Riiiiight....
Yes, but that's not were gunna say

You just drift off topic. Not saying completely random stuff. Like you just did. Razz
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Clonehunter Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:54 pm

There is a difference between random and drifting... Cool
Clonehunter
Clonehunter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:36 am

Raging Raptor wrote:In my opinion, we have become very lenient on the calender. Most people have their entire YEAR planned out, all marked on a little calender.

Some people believe the world will end in 2012, why? Because a calender told us.
Most people do? really? wow... i wonder how you do that....

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 am

I wonder how you just go;

"This day, check it off, hmm wait there seems to be a splotch on this day, OH CRAP THE WORLDS GOING TO END!!"

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Andrew wrote:I wonder how you just go;

"This day, check it off, hmm wait there seems to be a splotch on this day, OH CRAP THE WORLDS GOING TO END!!"
They think the world will end becose the mayan calander ends at 2012.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raging Raptor Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:06 pm

More of an act of carelessness rather than a depiction of the end of the world. If they knew the world would end, I'm sure they would mark the exact date. The Mayans where around a while, and they probably stopped at 2012, because the Mayans lived around 900 AD, so printing a calender for 1200 years later seems stupid. I doubt we have calenders printed for 3020, so why would the Mayans, that existed almost 1120 years ago, print a 2013 calender?
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Exactl, i dont think that an ended calender is an apocolyptic sign, it had to end sometime, calenders dont go on forever. We might as well die of some miraculous death on decembe 31st if thats how things work. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:43 pm

It would be like saying;

"This ancient paper says we will die tomorrow".

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Raging Raptor Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Andrew wrote:It would be like saying;

"This ancient paper says we will die tomorrow".

You see, your wrong Yea, that's kind of a sufficient comparison but If there was an actual document, with some sort of decloration that we will be doomed a certain day, then more people would believe this. But it is a simple calender, that stopped at a certain date.

I am sure that if they would have decided to end the calender in 2010, we would have believed it just as some people do now.
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:23 pm

So your saying we will die over a calendar? A calender wants us to die... We'll all die because of a day the calender stopped....

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Raging Raptor Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:33 pm

Andrew wrote:So your saying we will die over a calendar? A calender wants us to die... We'll all die because of a day the calender stopped....
No, I am saying exactly the opposite. I'm saying, most people will believe anything with a cool sounding story. If the Mayans would have stopped at 2013, right now, we would be thinking the world ends in 2012. It is all by chance. If they knew the world would end at a certain date, then I'm certain they would have done some sort of document, or prophecy, instead of just stopping their calenders. Like Treeco said, calenders don't go on forever, they had to stop somewhere.
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 pm

But a calender doesn't tell us when it ends, just because it stops on one day...

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Clonehunter Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 am

Raging Raptor wrote:
No, I am saying exactly the opposite. I'm saying, most people will believe anything with a cool sounding story. .

Lol. So if I make up a cool story about the world ending people will belive that? Lol, I think I'm gonna start the rough draft... Smile
Clonehunter
Clonehunter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Back to top Go down

Post  Raging Raptor Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Clonehunter wrote:
Raging Raptor wrote:
No, I am saying exactly the opposite. I'm saying, most people will believe anything with a cool sounding story. .

Lol. So if I make up a cool story about the world ending people will belive that? Lol, I think I'm gonna start the rough draft... Smile
If it had a cool story to it, like, 'ancient people' warning us, then yes. People will believe your story. A bit of fact and distortion goes a long way. I'm not saying you can make something up, like alien cows came at ancient times and left lost scripts that we will die, most people won't believe that. Get what I'm trying to say? We are so fascinated with the unknown, and bizzar, that we don't believe it because it has fact. We believe it because we deep down want it to be true. Deep down, I wish the world WOULD end in 2012, why? Cause IMO, that is a kickarse way to die. But I know by fact it is untrue, and do not believe it. Wanting and Believing are 2 totally different things.

Some people sit back, and support the End of the World in 2012, because they strongly stand behind the facts. they genuinely believe that the world will end.

And others support this, not because they BELIEVE it, but because they want it to happen. Deep down, they know it is false, but they still blindly support it, cause the idea of the world ending in 2012 is really appealing to support and to happen.
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Clonehunter Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Nah Aliens are too far fethed. We know more about space then we do the ocean. Just tell everyone we found scrolls in a water tight chest miles un der the ocean that say the world will end in 3010. We belive this to be from Atlantis, the lost city. Since thse "real" Wink scrolls exist, Atlantis must exist. And these scrolls must tell the truth becuase they have advanced technology! Just wathc Stargate and you'll see what I mean pirat
Clonehunter
Clonehunter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Back to top Go down

Post  Raging Raptor Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 pm

Clonehunter wrote:Nah Aliens are too far fethed. We know more about space then we do the ocean.
There is infinate space in space. We know so little compared to how big the entire universe is. The ocean? There are only bits and pieces we don't know about.

Last edited by Raging Raptor on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Clonehunter wrote:Nah Aliens are too far fethed. We know more about space then we do the ocean. Just tell everyone we found scrolls in a water tight chest miles un der the ocean that say the world will end in 3010. We belive this to be from Atlantis, the lost city. Since thse "real" Wink scrolls exist, Atlantis must exist. And these scrolls must tell the truth becuase they have advanced technology! Just wathc Stargate and you'll see what I mean pirat
thats the moon, not space

Back to top Go down

Post  Raging Raptor Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:54 pm

I never specified where the spacecows came from. Stop jumping to conclusions. Razz
Raging Raptor
Raging Raptor
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Life in outer space is near impossible, not just because we havent found it, but becouse the earth has perfect conditions(not anymore) for it. Different seasons becouse of are seasonal change in distace from the sun. Different climates all over for a good ecosystem of variouss life, A food chain, ecological nitches, and different terrains.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Well, you see your wrong there. Maybe there is some gas that some type of uni cellular orgainisim or soem thing that evolves around that gas, or say theres an envirment only that type of animal, or creature can live to it. Our galxay never stops, it can't be just us, in more than god could even know, how many galaxies there are.

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Andrew wrote:Well, you see your wrong there. Maybe there is some gas that some type of uni cellular orgainisim or soem thing that evolves around that gas, or say theres an envirment only that type of animal, or creature can live to it. Our galxay never stops, it can't be just us, in more than god could even know, how many galaxies there are.
1 i said near impossible
2 gas isent the only condition, unless its a single cell organism it reqiers quite alot more
3 if you believe in god, then he knows all since he made it
4 Oxygen exists throught the universe, There needs to be most of the elements of the periodic table
5 just because the universe is big doesnt help, there are very low chances that the perfect conditions for life to be there, and even less BECAUSE of how big it is, we might as well find life as easily as a goos in an autumn field if ho vat it is matters
6 amoount of galaxies only adds to number 5
7 single cells arent always life
8 single cells would need more than gas to be an animal or plant cell
9 the galexy does stop, it even has an expected end
10 its more likely that its just us
11 life is not friken spore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next