Jurassic Mods
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Renovation

+3
DinoMan314
spino77
Gopher
7 posters

Go down

Should we move? Do we need to?

Forum Renovation Vote_lcap7%Forum Renovation Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Forum Renovation Vote_lcap93%Forum Renovation Vote_rcap 93% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 14

Forum Renovation Empty Forum Renovation

Post  Gopher Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 pm

WE (the staff members) have decided that it is time to renovate the forum a little, spruce it up; all that jazz.

We will, in due course, change:

- The rule of the signature widths (making them smaller since they are taking up too much forum space.)
- The logo (Not the classic JP logo anymore, we've outgrown that Smile )
- The rank/Group images (members will have one global member image from now on (as it's too tedious to make new images for each rank); however, you will still have your rank title show up on your profile.
- Aaaand.....(drum roll) the theme. When I say "theme," I mean the layout and design/colors used in teh forum. The one we currently have may be too wide and harder to view on some member's computers, so we are switching to a cleaner, not as wide theme. Sorry, but no voting to keep the old one.
- As a result of switching the theme, the navigation images (Home, FAQ, Messages, Login/Out,etc.) will be changed or just removed since they may be too large for the layout.
- The color of some user groups, as followed, will be changed:

MEMBERS = blue
MODS = purple
ADMINS = red

Alright, and it's time I finally let this out:

We've been thinking of switching our forum hosts for many reasons, including lag here, no set avatar/sig dimensions, and more
We've tested HD (Hosting Delivered) and Freeforums, and HD seemed to be slower, while Freeforums was very fast, efficient, etc. The only aggravating downfall was the registration process, which asked for your phone number. There is the skip option in the top right-hand corner (which you must press many times before it works), but how many people will actually think of using that, seeing as we have many 10-yr olds?

So any help with a forum host would be helpful, although for now we've decided to stay here at home.

Last edited by Gopher on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Forum Renovation Empty Re: Forum Renovation

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Gopher wrote:WE (the staff members) have decided that it is time to renovate the forum a little, spruce it up; all that jazz.

- The rule of the signature widths (making them smaller since they are taking up too much forum space.)
- The rank/Group images (members will have one global member image from now on (as it's too tedious to make new images for each rank); however, you will still have your rank title show up on your profile.
- Aaaand.....(drum roll) the theme. When I say "theme," I mean the layout and design/colors used in teh forum. The one we currently have may be too wide and harder to view on some member's computers, so we are switching to a cleaner, not as wide theme. Sorry, but no voting to keep the old one.
- As a result of switching the theme, the navigation images (Home, FAQ, Messages, Login/Out,etc.) will be changed or just removed since they may be too large for the layout.

MEMBERS = blue
MODS = purple

We've been thinking of switching our forum hosts for many reasons, including lag here, no set avatar/sig dimensions, and more
We've tested HD (Hosting Delivered) and Freeforums, and HD seemed to be slower, while Freeforums was very fast, efficient, etc. The only aggravating downfall was the registration process, which asked for your phone number. There is the skip option in the top right-hand corner (which you must press many times before it works), but how many people will actually think of using that, seeing as we have many 10-yr olds?
I could easily scare the rest off, I just voted, but I think invisionfree's gotta be nice, and I see all your points.
So any help with a forum host would be helpful, although for now we've decided to stay here at home.
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, V-bot's ten.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Invision is good. Or we don't need actually switch our hosts, but instead switch the version from phpBB 3 to Invsion or something that is stable.
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spino77 Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:02 am

When I made my site the forum didnt ask for phone numbers in the registration.
spino77
spino77
Professional Skinner
Professional Skinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Yeah, but I suppose it's changed since then; I've made older test forums and they also didn't require phone numbers.
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spino77 Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Gopher wrote:Yeah, but I suppose it's changed since then; I've made older test forums and they also didn't require phone numbers.
Were they fast?
spino77
spino77
Professional Skinner
Professional Skinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:39 pm

Yes, they were fast, but they were all on Freeforums.
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spino77 Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Gopher wrote:Yes, they were fast, but they were all on Freeforums.
So we're back to the phone number?
spino77
spino77
Professional Skinner
Professional Skinner

Back to top Go down

Post  DinoMan314 Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Gopher wrote:WE (the staff members) have decided that it is time to renovate the forum a little, spruce it up; all that jazz.

MEMBERS = blue
MODS = purple
ADMINS = red

Why not Webs or Spruz?
DinoMan314
DinoMan314
Herrerasaurus
Herrerasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:40 am

Omg theres this place that looks like HD that me and RR once looked up, it was fast, and good, theres like unlimited something...I cant remember the name, RR help meh here!

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Uh...Nice taste Gopher!
I like the look, but "New Topic" should be "New reply", "New Comment", or "New post".
I'm sure it will be fixed.
EDIT: Dammit Gopher why'd ya go and fix it while I posted. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Okay so our name is offically "COOL BROWN" ?????

That makes sense <_<

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Raptor X Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Andrew wrote:Okay so our name is offically "COOL BROWN" ?????

That makes sense <_<

I was about to ask that. Twitch, twitch
Raptor X
Raptor X
Acrocanthosaurus
Acrocanthosaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Rofl sorry guys, the forum was supposed to be closed for maintenance, but apparently that didn't work. I'm changing themes, I just had an hours' break.

Alright, how do y'all like this one?
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spino77 Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Gopher wrote:Rofl sorry guys, the forum was supposed to be closed for maintenance, but apparently that didn't work. I'm changing themes, I just had an hours' break.

Alright, how do y'all like this one?
Dude, this is great!!!
spino77
spino77
Professional Skinner
Professional Skinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:04 am

Thats the skinniest ass logo Ive ever seen..

Wait thats not even a logo >_> Very Happy

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Still working on it.
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:37 am

Pardon me Gopher but.
THE NEW BANNER IS AS F-CKING AWSOME AS A PLAY-CUBE 360.
IT'S FREAKIN' EPIC!
I LIKE THE BIG WORDS
AS WELL AS THE ONES IN MY POST.
W0000000T!

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:32 am

What the crap is a Play-cube? Do you mean game-cube?

Anyways yeah the logo is really cool! :P

Andrew
Dino Moderator
Dino Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Glad to hear y'all like it. Razz
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jfrog Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:10 am

Man this looks great in iPad. He'll great but wheres the ranking?
Jfrog
Jfrog
Camarasaurus
Camarasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:22 pm

The ranking is still there, but only in words (for your rank title). All regular members, regardless of their amount of posts, now have the same group image (Member) since it is far too tedious to create individual ones for each rank.
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PMCG99 Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 pm

It's been a while since i have been here but... WOW!!!! I sign on And BOOM!!!! it Freaked me out so bad i almost wet myself Shocked . But i love the renovations! And i realy like The Silver/White style!!! Good job Gopher!!! you have excellent Taste Wink ! P.S. How'd i get ranked a Herrara With only 25 posts scratch ? Is it something to do with the renovations?
PMCG99
PMCG99
Compy
Compy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gopher Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:01 am

Herrera has always been at 25 posts...And I'm glad you like it! Very Happy
Gopher
Gopher
Admin
Admin